This facility mainly caters to the requirement of mechanical components required by the various laboratories in the Raman Research Institute (Radio Astronomy Lab, Light And Matter Physics Group, Soft Condensed Matter Group, X-ray Lab, etc.). The workshop has fairly advanced machinery and a team of skilled personnel who can undertake fabrication of various sophisticated mechanical hardware components.
Some of the major tasks handled by the Engineering Workshop team are:
- Construction of a 10.4-m millimetre-wave radio telescope antenna using honeycomb panels.
- Fabrication and installation of an array of 1100 helical antennas, along with associated hardware components, for the Mauritius Radio Telescope.
- Design and Fabrication of a 12-m Preloaded Parabolic antenna, which has been installed at the observatory at Gauribidanur.
- Design and Fabrication of a Thompson X-ray Polarimeter and test rigs for the X-ray astronomy laboratory.
- Fabrication of wave guides and receiver boxes for the 21 cm receiver for the 30 antennas of the Giant Metrewave Radio Telescope (GMRT).
- Design and Fabrication of a Low frequency antenna feed system for GMRT.
- Design and Fabrication of a Multi-band feed for the Green Bank telescope.
- Fabrication of Ion trap mounts and ceramic gadgets for the Ultra Cool Molecular Laboratory of the Light and Matter Physics (LAMP) group.
- Design and Fabrication of Wing and Arches with bearing mounting for the Wing, Propeller shaft drive assembly and Rudder asssembly for a Wing-sail mounted Catamaran.
- Fabrication of high precision mixer blocks, Tripler Blocks, wave guides etc. for millimetre-wave receivers.
- Precision mounts, positioners and cooling stages for the LAMP and SCM groups.
- Fabrication of Components for Ultra Light flying machines.
Sheet Metal Fabrication Workshop
This facility mainly caters to the requirement of sheet metal fabrication work required by the various Laboratories. This unit has the equipments and trained personnel for fabricating enclosures, system racks, and various components for electronic instrumentation.
Some examples of the work carried out by this Workshop are:
- Fabrication of the Control Panel of the 10.4-m Telescope and Electronic Systems rack for the Filter bank receiver, Racks for the GMRT Pulsar receiver etc.
- Assembly and fabrication of front end corrugated horn for the 21 cm receiver for the GMRT Project.
- Fabrication of Plug-in unit Racks for Multi Band Feed and MWA projects.
- Fabrication of Work tables, Computer tables etc. for the computer section and various laboratories.
- Fabrication of Wing, dagger boards and FRP enclosures for the Wing sail mounted Catamaran.
- Meeting miscellaneous fabrication and welding requirements of the Institute.