1. Admission to PhD 2023 Programme
The PhD programme conducted by RRI aims to empower its students with advanced technical abilities in basic science and in a specialization, so as to prepare them for a career in research. The programme commences with formal credited course work in advanced topics during the first year. RRI offers select PhD students, who qualify in the course work and a subsequent comprehensive examination, opportunities for supervised research within the four broad areas of research conducted at the institute – Astronomy and Astrophysics, Light and Matter Physics, Soft Condensed Matter Physics and Theoretical Physics.
Students at RRI are registered for their PhD degree with Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi. RRI is also a participant in the Joint Astronomy Programme (JAP) with the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.
Total No. of Vacant PhD Positions for 2023: 18
EXPERIMENT = 11
THEORY = 7
2. External Registration Programme (ERP)
Apart from the regular PhD. program, the Institute also has an External Registration Programme (ERP) for admission to PhD. This aims to provide opportunities to :
- Individuals employed in R & D environments in the government sector.
- Young Engineering / Science faculty members of all Engineering Colleges / Universities recognized by appropriate government agencies to pursue research degrees in Science / Engineering.
Applicants keen to register on this program shall:
- send a consent letter from a faculty member of Raman Research Institute that he/she is willing to support the candidate under the External Registration Program. The letter may be sent by e-mail to @email
- provide a letter from their parent organization indicating name, department, designation, area of research and period of employment.